Monday, March 7, 2011

More Changes Ahead

I've been praying about going to Rwanda before our adoption is completed. We still don't know when that will be and I was thinking of going there on a mission trip. I wanted to go and serve the people from where my son is from to give back to the country. Our church is very involved with Rwanda and has at least a half dozen trips planned this year. I thought it would be awesome to experience, learn and serve my son's birth county and it's people. I hadn't decided anything yet, I was waiting for God to give me a clear answer.

I go my answer. It's a no. Here's the crazy, new reason why...
I just got a unexpected email today from my adoption agency. Apparently, Rwanda will now be requiring all families to be present in Rwanda to sign the Act of Adoption document that must be submitted to court to request a court date to finalize an adoption. This use to be something a Power of Attorney would do on our behalf and we would only have to travel once (later in the process). This document is submitted to the court to request a court date to finalize the adoption. It's sort of a complicated process (I'll spare you the detailed steps involved in the in-country procedures because I don't fully get them even thought I have it spelled out in an email!). It can take a few weeks between the signing of the Act of Adoption document and getting your court date. Therefore, we will have to either stay during the wait or travel twice. If you stay the whole process from arrival to departure could be 3-5 weeks, which includes your exit trip through Ethiopia to get your child's visa.

God answered my prayer about going on a mission trip to Rwanda while we wait. It's an obvious no! This unexpected news adds new complications. I'm glad God answered my prayer but not sure what to make of these new changes. Thankfully, tomorrow is our monthly conference call with our agency. I am looking forward to better understanding what this means to us and what our options are. Rwanda is relatively new to international adoption and we are considered "pioneers" in this process. We knew going into our adoption that it was highly likely Rwanda would change things along the way. Early in the process, I came to terms with the fact that I'm not in control of the process or timing. All I can do is go with the flow and rely on God for the rest. Here is a link to the post I wrote regarding this "letting go" struggle: Where the River goes, I flow