Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Poem To My New Son

The other day I was reflecting on the parallel relationship between God's pursuit of me and all He did for me before I even knew or cared who He was and the relationship between me and my child to be in Rwanda. God did all these things for me, His child, before I knew Him or understood what it meant to know Him. Now I am doing these things for my child. So I wrote a poem to my child about it. I cry when I read it thinking about how God has been so good to me and what is yet to come. These pictures are from previous trips to Kenya and not directly related to our Rwandan adoption (although it's all been part of the journey).

Before You Knew Me
by Tristen McGhee

Before you knew me I was searching for you.
Before you knew me I was praying for you.
Before you knew me I already loved you.
Before you knew me, I knew you.
No ocean is too wide to separate us.
No obstacle is too large to stand between us.
No wait is to long to suspend us.
Before you loved me, I loved you.
I will calm you fears with my gentle love.
I will understand your sadness with my intentional love.
I will soothe your anger with my steadfast love.
Before you believed in me, I believed in you.
God adopted me before I adopted you.
God made me His child before I made you mine.
God came to me before I came to you.
Before you trusted me, I trusted God.
Because God did these things for me, I can do them for you.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so lucky to have such a creative wife. I hope our future son likes his poem as much as I like my apple poem from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tristen my friend...that was beautiful and so are you! Before we knew that our paths would cross, He did!

    Thank you Lord for that.
    Jackie Gillen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your blog through the Gladney website. We are just beginning the process to adopt from Rwanda as well. I am mailing off the application for the big application tomorrow. I would love to keep in touch! My email address is meredithfloyd@hotmail.com and our blog is
    nickmeredith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete