Monday, March 29, 2010

False Peak on Mount Paperwork

Ok, so I hit a false peak. Do you know what that is? If you are a backpacker you probably do... but I'll explain it in case your not a hiker (or don't hike in mountainous areas). A false peak is when you are hiking toward a mountain peak that you can't see from where you start the hike. As you are happily hiking along you see the peak... or at least you think it's the peak. Your spirits soar and energy is renewed as you make your way to the top. Then as you summit you realize the peak you are on isn't 'The Peak'. You definitely made it to a mountain peak but in the distance you see 'The Peak'. The one you are on is just a smaller (false) peak that was blocking the view of 'The Peak' behind it. It's always somewhat of a joy killer when you are hiking and this happens. A short break is usually required to recapture your energy and spirits. This is how I hit my false peak on Mount Paperwork: Since we are coming to a close on our home study and I've done everything required for both our agencies (our home study agency, God's Families & our international adoption agency, Gladney) I naively thought we were done with most of the paperwork. With nothing to do (lol), I opened a file from my case worker entitled Rwanda Dossier Manual. That's when it happened, that's when I realized I was on a false peak. As I read the file, my energy slowly drained from within me as I realized I had to do a third round of paperwork- paperwork that I had already done twice! I thought, for the Rwanda dossier, I would be compiling paperwork I had already done. Wrong! The Rwanda government needs original copies of everything, just like the state of California, just like the U.S. government... of course they do! Only makes sense- right. So last week was hard to shake. I had to take a break. The beauty of the whole thing and the beauty of how God's timing is perfect, is that I had a fun trip already planned for last week! My mom invited me and my sister-in-law to a long-arm quilting retreat in Utah. It was very intense and gave me no time to think about the adoption and all the things I would have to do (again). It was great to see my family and a great break for my spirit. I am rested and excited to hike this path again!

4 comments:

  1. What!?!?! Crazy. So do you need 3 sets of originals? Do you have to reorder all your documents again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had the trip. I have found it has been a hurry up and get this done and then wait wait wait. And that pattern follows itself. It is LOTS of paperwork. Praying for you! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, it's totally a hurry up and wait (wait, wait) thing! I think I may post all the paperwork stuff, people can't understand how I can still be doing paperwork. But it's all worth it and no biggie in the BIG picture. Thanks so much for the encouragement... it really means a lot. It's like running a marathon and having people cheer you on and hold water up for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tristen,
    It took USCIS almost three months to get us our Immagration approval so you have time to get all you doc. I know it looks bad, but once you start requesting everything it all flows in pretty quick. Don't get your new physicals until you have your UCSIS fingerprints taken because those physicals can't be older than 3 months once your dossier is in Rwanda. Please ask if you have any questions, we are only a few steps ahead of you so everything is fresh on my mind!

    ReplyDelete