Friday, August 13, 2010

Building Your Child's Library

One of the last monthly conference calls from our adoption agency, Gladney, was about the benefits of using children books to help your child in a variety of ways. I LOVE books so I plan to build a wonderful library for my future child from Rwanda. I a wish list of books I have found on Amazon but haven't invested in anything yet. I am still enjoying building my own adult adoption library. Maybe in the near future I will post a listing of books I have benefited from and why. But until then here is a list of suggestions from Gladney Center - Rwanda Adoption Program. Please let me know if you have read any of them and what your favorites are!

• Online e-book: The Skin of Lions: Rwandan Folk Tales and Fables
Funds go toward an orphan project – to purchase online here.

• Brown Like Me – by Noelle Laperti – book about an African American Girl adopted by a Caucasian family

• Africa is Not a Country – by Margie Burns Knight – a book about the diversity of culture and lives in Africa as a continent and the lives children live

• The Colors of Us – by Karen Katz – on skin diversity

• Why Can’t You Look Like Me – by Ola Zuri – skin diversity

• I Love My Hair – by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley – African American hair

• One Wonderful You – by Francie Portnoy – adoption/uniqueness

• We See the Moon – by Carrie A. Kitze – relates to birthparents and a child’s understanding

• Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions – by Margaret Musgrove – presents an alphabet of African Tribes; some of their traditions – great introduction to the diversity of Africa and culture

***Check out my BOOKS tab on the top menu bar for a complete list of books for adults and kids***

3 comments:

  1. How exciting as you get closer and closer to meeting your child! We love Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions! We intend on reading it throughout the school year, plotting out each tribe on our wall map each week and digging deeper to learn more about their way of life whenever possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several of these books- my daughter loves 'I Love My Hair' but it has already made her jealous of her future sister's hair. Ooops:) She wants an afro too!!!

    'The Colors of Us' is cute too- my kids love the illustrations and the 'foody' descriptions of skin tones.

    We have another one called 'Whoever You Are' (I think) and this is my favorite. It is a book about having the same thoughts and feelings no matter who you or where you are in the world. The illustrations are amazing and keep my kids enthralled. The text also has a really nice rhythm and cadence to read.

    I like the idea of the 'online' book. I am going to go check that out now-thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Amy-that's amazing you are going to do that map thing with Cassidy! What a great idea, we'll have to do that with Gaven before his brother comes. Maybe a Rwandan kid is in your future?;)

    Holly- thanks for the book comments and new book suggestion. I didn't even think about getting the books now for my son Gaven and I to enjoy before our other son comes home. You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete